Registration for the
Leverett and Caravan Choruses Spring 2020 sessions will begin soon. Let me know if you would like a reminder email.
Read about the choruses, below, and let me know which you would like to join. I’ll get back to you confirming and telling you what to do next.
I’m ready to choose
The Leverett Community Chorus rehearsals take place at the Mt Toby Meetinghouseon Tuesdays, from 7–8:30pm. But please note – there is a limit of 80 participants for the Leverett Chorus. I will notify you that you have a spot, so please wait to hear back from me before mailing your registration and payment.
The fee for the fall session is $120 per person. There are several work-exchange options available. Maximum cost for families is $240. If you have more than two members of your family participating, the additional members are free.
The mission of the Caravan Chorus is to reach out to elders through song.
Caravan Chorus will meet to rehearse and practice harmonizing on Thursdays at the Mt Toby Meetinghouse from 2 –4pm. I am setting up fall performances and, as always, we may need to be a little flexible to accommodate the schedules at the senior centers.
The focus of the Chorus is:
1. Examine ways that music is being used to connect with elder populations. There have been some amazing programs for helping people with dementia/Alzheimer’s increase social connections through song. At one of our sessions, I will share videos about these programs with you. They are very inspiring and informative.
2. Learn a repertoire of songs for the chorus to sing at Assisted Living centers and Senior Community Centers. A sample of some of our choral music will include African songs like Ise Olua, and Tina Singu, the Doo Wop hit, Come and Go With Me, the Hebrew song, Eretz Zavat Chalav, and others. In addition, I will be teaching chorus members basics of harmony, so that you all can harmonize on beloved folk songs like Irene Goodnight, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, and Sam Cooke’s You Send Me. We will be using choral sheet music for some songs, and then harmonizing by ear on other songs.
3. In addition to our chorus performing for an audience, we will also together generate a collection of singalong songs. I will create lyric sheets in large print for these. During the second half of each performance, members of our chorus will be able to join with the elders for a singalong.
There is a limit of 45 participants for the Caravan Chorus.
The fee for the fall session is $120 per person. There are several work-exchange options available. Please email me if you want to discuss this with me. Maximum cost for families is $240. If you have more than two members of your family participating, the additional members are free.
What’s the difference between the Leverett Community Chorus and the Caravan Chorus?
• The Caravan Chorus will meet during the day, the Leverett Chorus will continue to meet at night.
• Caravan Chorus will have tons of fun music to sing too, but it will involve less memorization of SATB choral music and will also involve learning to harmonize by ear on some songs. The focus of this chorus is on community outreach through song.
• The Leverett Community Chorus is more challenging and will involve learning and memorizing SATB choral music of different musical genres including songs from a variety of world cultures.